Texas isn’t just about cowboy boots and BBQ. The Lone Star State is also a popular destination for young travelers looking for adventure, cultural activities, and nightlife.
Cities like Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, and Galveston attract college students and young travelers from all over the country. But let’s face it: finding hotels that allow guests under 21 to check in can be quite a challenge!
In this guide, I’ll share my tried-and-true tips for discovering Texas hotels you can book at 18. And if you’re anywhere between 18 and 21, don’t you worry—I’ve got some alternatives lined up for you, too.
So, saddle up and check out this list of hotels that allow 18 year olds to check in Texas.
Texas Hotel Guide for 18-Year Olds
Before we get into Texas hotels that allow guests 18+ to check-in, here a few things you need to know about traveling if you’re under 21.
Hotel check-in age restrictions in Texas
I bet the question on your mind is how old do you have to be to get a hotel room in Texas, right? Well, it depends.
At 18, you can legally do a lot a of stuff. You can vote, buy property, get married without mom and dad’s permission, and even be sued.
But… you can’t consume alcohol. And for hotels, that’s a big problem.
For that reason, most hotels in Texas set the minimum age a guest must be to check-in at 21, which is the legal drinking age in the United States.
Who determines the minimum check-in age?
It’s up to the hotel to decide. And there’s no one-size fits all when it comes to their policies—even hotels from the same chain may have different requirements.
Hotel check-in age restrictions in Texas can vary from 18 to 25 in some cases. So the only way of knowing, is by checking the policy of each individual hotel.
Reasons hotels in Texas have age restrictions
I had to do quite a bit of digging to find out why some hotels impose age restrictions and others don’t.
While I did’t find anything conclusive, here are few reasons that may explain why some hotels don’t allow guests under 21, or 25 in some cases, to check-in:
- Marketing: Some hotels cater to adults only. In that case, it’s only natural that they’d require all guests to be at least 21.
- Liability: When you check-in, the hotel becomes somewhat responsible for your safety. And although I hate to say it, 18-twenty something year olds do some really dumb shit! But the biggest issue is the consumption of alcohol on hotel premises, even if it was bought elsewhere. Which brings me to my next point…
- The mini-bar: Since the legal drinking age in the United States is 21 it’s a lot easier to restrict the age of the guests than it would be to clear our dozens of tiny liquor bottles from each room.
- Party destinations: Hotels in places like Austin, Galveston, and South Padre Island may be more strict about the minimum check-in age. This is to ensure guests are legally allowed to drink alcohol and to try and keep the rowdier crowds away.
- Guest experience: Some hotels don’t want to get a the reputation of being a party hotel and may up the minimum age to maintain a more peaceful atmosphere for all guest.
Hotels in Texas with 18+ Check-In
Below you can find a list of hotels with 18+ check-in for the different cities within Texas.
⚠️ Attention: While I do my best to keep this list updated, hotel policies may change. Some hotels may also have special rules for guest in the ages of 18 to 25. So double-check with the property before you book!
Here are some hotels in Austin, Texas with 18+ check-in:
- Fairmont Austin
- Hyatt Place Austin Downtown
- East Austin Hotel
- Hilton Austin Airport
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Austin Central
- Hyatt Place Austin / Lake Travis / Four Points
- Hyatt Place Austin Cedar Park
- Hyatt Regency Austin
- Hyatt Centric Congress Ave Austin
- Ramada by Wyndham Austin South
Big Bend National Park
Here are some hotels near Big Bend National Park, Texas with 18+ check-in:
Here are some hotels in Dallas, Texas with 18+ check-in:
- Hyatt Regency Dallas
- SOVA Micro-Room & Social Hotel
- Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
- Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- Drury Plaza Hotel Dallas Richardson
Here are some hotels in El Paso, Texas with 18+ check-in:
- Aloft El Paso Downtown
- The Hotel at Sunland Park Casino El Paso, Ascend Hotel Collection
- Ramada by Wyndham El Paso
- Fairfield Inn & Suites El Paso Airport
- Quality Inn and Suites
- Red Roof Inn PLUS+ El Paso East
Here are some hotels in Fredericksburg, Texas with 18+ check-in:
- Comfort Inn and Suites Fredericksburg
- La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Fredericksburg
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Fredericksburg
- Hoffman Haus
Here are some hotels in Fort Worth, Texas with 18+ check-in:
- Quality Inn West Fort Worth
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Fort Worth West l-30 NAS JRB
- Motel 6 Fort Worth, TX – Convention Center
- Studio 6 – Lake Worth, TX
Here are some hotels in Galveston, Texas with 18+ check-in:
- Beachcomber Inn
- Wingate by Wyndham Galveston East Beach
- The Mansion on 17th
- Sleep Inn & Suites Galveston Island
- The 1890 Freeman House
Here are some hotels in Houston, Texas with 18+ check-in:
- Hilton Americas-Houston
- Hyatt Place Houston/Galleria
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Houston Intercontinental Airport
- Hampton Inn & Suites Houston North IAH
- Houston Marriott Medical Center/Museum District
- The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center
- Signature Inn Houston Galleria (minimum check-in age: 19)
- Haven Inn & Suites Downtown Houston
- Drury Inn & Suites The Woodlands
Here are some hotels in South Padre Island, Texas with 18+ check-in:
- Hotel Havana
- Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort & Spa
- Hyatt Regency Sam Antonio Riverwalk
- La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham San Antonio Airport
- Gruene Outpost River Lodge
- Courtyard by Marriott Medical Center San Antonio
South Padre Island
Here are some hotels in South Padre Island, Texas with 18+ check-in:
- Padre South Hotel On The Beach
- Ramada by Wyndham & Suites South Padre Island
- Lighthouse Inn
- South Padre Island Lodge
- Executive Inn and Suites
- Casa Rosa Inn
- Saida Towers by Padre Island Rentals (minimum check in age: 19)
Alternatives to Hotels for 18-Year Olds
As a young traveler, it’s always good to have a backup plan. So in case you can’t find a hotel you like or they changed their minimum check-in age before you had a chance to book, here are some other places you can stay as an 18-year old traveling in Texas.
Youth hostels cater to young travelers so they’re the most obvious alternative to staying in a hotel as an 18-year old. As an added benefit, hostels are also cheaper, specially if you’re traveling solo.
If you’re worried about sacrificing your privacy and comfort by staying at a hostel, don’t. While hostels are known for having dorm-style rooms, modern hostels can be quite hip and modern.
For example, check out Firehouse Hostel in Austin located right in the downtown entertainment area, and Bposhtels Houston only 15 minutes from Houston International Airport in the Heights neighborhood.
Short-Term Vacation Rentals
Websites like Airbnb, VRBO, and Plum Guide have a ton of homes and apartments that you can rent for your Texas vacation. The official minimum age required to book on those platforms is 18. However, double check the listing before you book to be sure since owners can set a different minimum age for their property.
Companies like G Adventures and Contiki are great options for young travelers to explore the world with a group. They have tours specifically designed for 18 to thirty-something-year-olds with activities and accommodations to match.
I traveled across Europe with Contiki after my college graduation and highly recommend it if you’re 18 to early 20s. While they’re strictly for 18-35, G Adventures offers some tours for 18-39 years and some without age restrictions. You can read about my experience with G Adventures here.
When it comes to exploring the Lone Star State, finding hotels that allow 18+ check in is absolutely possible.
I’ve given you a list of several Texas hotels you can book at 18. But remember to always double check their specific policies, and when appropriate, explore alternatives like hostels, vacation rentals, and group accommodations.
Whether you’re headed to the coast or getting “weird” in Austin, there are plenty of Texas hotels you can book at 18 and beyond!